Vision Of Calvary Baptist Church

We pride ourselves on our adaptability and commitment to excellence in every aspect of our service. Explore what we have to offer and how we can contribute to your success.

History Of Calvary Baptist Church

                                                                           September 4, 1896  - November 12, 2024

The Calvary Baptist Church was organized on September 4, 1896, under Reverend Gray in a small one-story building located at the corner of Wesley Street and Bedford Avenue.  The first baptism of three members was held in the old Ebenezer Baptist Church, then located on Miller Street.  The church soon outgrew this building, and Reverend Gray secured a storeroom at the corner of Soho Street and Centre Avenue.  Among the first Deacons and Deaconesses to serve were:  Armstead Holmes, Charles Norris, Abrem Herley, William Franklin, Wilbert Freeman, W. H. Brown, Malaise Powell, Meney Peters, Mary Lucket, and Annie Freeman.  Some of the first Trustees to serve were:  Armstead Holmes, Abrem Herley, W. H. Brown, Wilbert Freeman, and A. J. Whorton.

Reverend Early, then pastor of the Shiloh Baptist Church, organized Calvary’s first Sunday school.  Brother George Dithridge from Ebenezer Baptist Church served as teacher of the bible class for thirteen (13) years.  Reverend Gray put forth every effort possible for the advancement of the church and the people.  The First Auxiliary to be organized was the Willing Workers Society which purchased the church’s first organ.  The congregation continued to grow and a larger building, located at the corner of Centre Avenue and Reed Street, was procured from the People’s Savings Bank for the sum of $1,600.00.  Reverend Gray resigned as Calvary’s pastor in 1898.  The pastors who served Calvary after Reverend Gray were:  Reverend Walker, Reverend Smith, and Reverend John Pryor.

Reverend W. T. Kenny, was called to be Calvary’s pastor in the summer of 1900.  Reverend Kenny was an ideal pastor, teacher and achieved much during his six and one-half year tenure as pastor as evidenced by the membership increasing from 14 to 400 members and raising over $5,000.00.  Perhaps of greatest significance is that on February 3, 1902, the Calvary Baptist Church was officially chartered under the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, County of Allegheny, during the tenure of Reverend Kenny.  Reverend Kenny resigned as pastor in October of 1906.  Six months later in April 1907, Calvary extended a call to the Reverend C. H. Duvall who served for eleven and one-half months.  

In 1908, Calvary extended a call to the Reverend H. W. Chiles.  It was under his leadership that the church was moved to its present location on Wylie Avenue.  After the resignation of Reverend Chiles, the following ministers served as pastor of Calvary:  Reverend Sissen in 1907; Reverend J. K. Campbell in 1921; Reverend Peneter who died before he could accept; Reverend Byrd (in place of Reverend Peneter) in 1921; and Reverend J. E. Robinson, 1924 to 1936.

In June of 1936 Reverend Oliver J. Martin was called to pastor Calvary.  Under his leadership the church membership grew from 127 to 1,000.  Calvary purchased its first parsonage, located at 512 Junilla Street, in 1942 under Reverend Martin for $6,000.00.  The purchases of: new church pews, carpet, pulpit furniture, choir stand, and a sink for the kitchen were made and paid for in eleven (11) months.  Reverend Martin was instrumental in initiating a Young People’s Choir, Young People’s Progressive Club and a Back Home Hour every fourth Sunday night.  The $6,000.00 mortgage was burned during a well-attended ceremony under Reverend Martin.  Because of the enormous growth in membership, Reverend Martin saw a need for a new Calvary.  He set up a building fund drive and gave the first $100.00 to the effort.  However, before he could see the reality of his dream of “A New Calvary”, God called him from labor to reward on August 6, 1946.  When he died Calvary was debt free with $2,600.00 in the treasury.

In 1947 the call was extended to Reverend W. H. T. Brewster.  He accepted the call with the promise of building a New Calvary in 1948.  Trustee Roosevelt Washington, Sr. built a balcony in the rear of the auditorium to accommodate the congregation.  Under Reverend Brewster’s leadership, a Sunday night broadcast, radio choirs, a Back Home Hour and Drama Club were organized.  In 1949, the old building was torn down and the construction of a new building began.  The two-board chairman who worked along with the pastor during the beginning of the construction were Elijah Griggs, Chairman of the Deacon Board and Trustee Roosevelt Washington, Sr., Chairman of the Trustee Board.  Unfortunately, the construction was halted with only the foundation laid and walls partially built.

           The members became discourage and restless, but because of their faith and trust in God, the church prayed.  They went from 2424 Wylie Avenue to the Seventh Day Adventist Church building on Morgan and Centre Avenue.  Calvary then moved to the skating rink at 2314 Centre Avenue and then returned to 2424 Wylie Avenue.  At the last church business meeting under Reverend Brewster, a terrible feud erupted resulting in the arrest of a half dozen people.  The church split in 1952 with more than one-third of the membership going with Reverend Brewster to a church on Bedford Avenue and Somer Street.  The church became embroiled in a terrible court battle during this time.  Under the leadership of the two new Board chairman, Deacon Clinton Robinson, Chairman of the Deacon Board and Trustee Isaac West, Chairman of the Trustee Board, they worked diligently proving to the court that those remaining in the congregation constituted the true Calvary Baptist Church.  The decision of the Court was in their favor and Calvary Baptist Church remained with the majority.  The Allegheny Union Baptist Association also recognized this to be true.

The Gospel Crusaders were organized in 1950 and the Martinettes were organized in 1951 at the 2424 Wylie Avenue address.  Commendation must be given to the Gospel Crusaders, under the direction of Mrs. Fannie Martin, for their financial support and source of inspiration during this time and the years that followed. 

On May 27, 1969, Calvary called Reverend J. M. Allen of Lansdowne, Pennsylvania who accepted the call and began his tenure on July 5, 1969.  Under his leadership:  stained glass windows were installed, a new lighted cross was installed, and new deacon and choir chairs were purchased.  Several deacons were ordained:  Deacon Randolph Patterson, Deacon Donald Harris, Deacon Joseph Saunders, Deacon James Alston, and Deacon Albert Wright.  A fountain was built in the vestibule.  The church purchased a new parsonage on Clarissa Street.  Reverend Allen resigned in December of 1976.

In 1953 Calvary extended a call to the Reverend James A. Cox, of Wheeling, West Virginia and began his tenure on September 2, 1953.  After three years of building up the membership and paying off debts, Calvary was ready to reclaim her old site at 2629 Wylie Avenue and the building began.  Reverend Cox proposed to rebuild on a time and material basis.  The Bix Construction Company with Mr. J. W. Adams, contractor, was recommended by Mrs. Ruth West Wright.  Trustee West introduced the company to the pastor, boards and congregation.  Mr. Cooper, the architect, engineer and inspector, finalized the plans for the new church.  In 1956, the construction of “A New Calvary” began.  The total construction cost paid to the Bix Construction Company was $60,945.43, prior to obtaining a mortgage for further development.

           During this time, Trustee Randolph Patterson was elected as the Chairman of the Trustee Board.  After various business transactions, it was he, who on November 15, 1958, signed an $80,000.00 check that was secured from the East End Federal Savings and Loan Association of Pittsburgh.  This completed the final stages of the work.  The monthly payment was $750.00 and the congregation made payments faithfully.

           “The Glorious March” from 2424 Wylie to the “New Calvary” located at 2629 Wylie Avenue took place on the second Sunday of November 1958 amid dancing, singing and praising the Lord from whom all blessings flow!  Calvary’s congregation had worshipped in the basement of 2424 Wylie Avenue for nine years.  It had emerged from the darkness of “The Cave”, as it was dubbed, into the marvelous light.  What a glorious occasion that was!  The congregation arrived at the church at 10:00 a.m., Trustee Roosevelt Washington, Sr. had been appointed Sergeant at Arms and had the church doors opened wide awaiting the arrival of the congregation.

           Reverend Cox’s first sermon in the new church was entitled: “Looking Back.”  Mrs. Hattie Washington was the first person to testify in the new church.  The first funeral held in the new church was for Deacon Reuben Banks, teacher of the Men’s Bible class.  Now that the congregation was in the new church work continued to meet the indebtedness.  Those worked untiringly to raise money forever be recognized for their service and purposeful conviction, they are as follows:

Mrs. Irene Patterson, organizer and supervisor of the Young People’s Usher Board

Mrs. Aggie Crumpton, first president of the Busy Bee Club

Mrs. Hattie Washington, president of the Sunshine Club

Mrs. Catherine Pearson, president of the Nurses

Deacon Otis McCree, president of the Usher Board

Mrs. Bobbie Minor, treasurer of the Building Fund, was one of the largest contributors as well as Mrs. Ann Sherman, the candy seller.

           Mrs. Ethel Bean and many others who have been called from labor to reward were contributors also.  Trustee William Jones served as Chairman of the Trustee Board for several years under this Administration.  Trustee Roosevelt Washington, Jr. succeeded Mr. Jones as Trustee Board Chairman.

           Under Reverend Cox’s leadership:  The Dramatic Club was organized by Mr. David Graham; Mrs. Louise Gantt was president of the Pulpit Guild; Mrs. Lillian Alston, president of the Young Matrons; Mrs. Myrtle Washington Roberts, president of the Young Adult Choir; and Mrs. Fannie Graham, director of the Young Adult Choir.

           On Sunday, March 1, 1959, the cornerstone was laid, assisted by the Most Worshipful Hiram Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania AF&A Masons.  Assisting also in this installation were Trustees Roosevelt Washington Sr., Roosevelt Washington Jr., Deacon George Crumpton and Mr. James Pearson.  During this same period, the lower auditorium was renovated by the men of Calvary at a cost of $5,000.00.  The renovations included:  eight classrooms; a complete kitchen with stainless steel fixtures; a fully equipped nurses’ station; and, a first aid room.  The membership rose to approximately nine hundred (900) members, under the leadership of Reverend Cox.  Reverend Cox resigned as pastor on February 18, 1968.

           The Chairman of the Deacon and Trustee Boards, Clinton Robinson and Roosevelt Washington Jr., respectively, along with the other members of the Official Boards are credited with keeping the church together in peace and harmony.  They were also instrumental in leading the membership in its last successful drive to retire the church mortgage.  On Wednesday, January 8, 1969, a check for $30,430.92 was presented to the Century Federal Savings and Loan Association of Pittsburgh as final payment on the mortgage.  On Sunday, January 12, 1969, Mr. Lucion Deese, Treasurer and Trustee Roosevelt Washington Jr. presented the church with the mortgage bond papers and a refund check for $64.08.

           On Sunday, May 14, 1969 Calvary Baptist Church celebrated the burning of the church mortgage.  What a glorious occasion that was!!  After ten years and two months, the value of Calvary Baptist Church was appraised at a quarter of a million dollars.  There was great rejoicing!!

           Calvary has licensed and ordained several persons to the “preaching ministry”:  Reverend Enoch, Reverend W. L. Harris, Reverend Goodman, Reverend Ludwell Wiley, Reverend A. L. Hardaway, Reverend R. W. Martin, Reverend N. H. Milton, Reverend Vincent Perry, Reverend Henderson Woodward, Minister Gary Dashield and Minister Troy Rodgers.

On May 27, 1969, Calvary called Reverend J. M. Allen of Lansdowne, Pennsylvania who accepted the call and began his tenure on July 5, 1969.  Under his leadership:  stained glass windows were installed, a new lighted cross was installed, and new deacon and choir chairs were purchased.  Several deacons were ordained:  Deacon Randolph Patterson, Deacon Donald Harris, Deacon Joseph Saunders, Deacon James Alston, and Deacon Albert Wright.  A fountain was built in the vestibule.  The church purchased a new parsonage on Clarissa Street.  Reverend Allen resigned in December of 1976.

In November of 1977, Calvary extended a call to Reverend Boyd E. Rodgers of Vallejo, California, who accepted the call and began his tenure as pastor on Sunday, June 25, 1978.  Under his leadership, tremendous progress was made.  Reverend Rodgers was instrumental in getting the church to secure a $27,000.00 loan to purchase new carpeting, pews, and glass doors for the beautification of the church.

           He was successful in securing the service of the men to paint the interior and exterior of the church with paint that was donated through his solicitation.  Also, the erection of the steeple on top of the church was done.  Reverend Rodgers did much to reach the unsaved.  He conducted outdoor revivals and installed a Prayer Line during his administration.  Three deacons were ordained:  Deacon Elbert Pollard, Deacon Otis McCree, and Deacon Fred Ralston, Sr.

           A prayer band was set up outside the church, and approximately three hundred (300) souls were added to the church.  In 1982, two new auxiliaries were organized: the Angelic Rebirth and the Young People’s Choir.  In 1983, the church secretary Hattie Washington Bennett studiously and diligently composed the history of the Calvary Baptist Church.  Under Reverend Rodgers’ tenure, the following additions were made to Calvary Baptist Church: a parking lot, new stove, refrigerator, organ, and piano.  William Hurt and Christine Gurley collaborated and spearheaded the idea of forming a Van Ministry.  Before the church purchased a church van, William Hurt, Joseph Hall, and Christine Gurley used their vehicles in transporting Calvary members.  The church at this time also saw the need for a Culinary Ministry.  Mrs. Lucille Stokley and Mrs. Lillie Houston took the helm to organize the ministry.

In October 1985, Calvary extended the pastoral call to Reverend Darold Edward Foote.  Under Reverend Foote, Calvary experienced a spiritual renaissance.  Among some of his accomplishments were: an $85,000.00 roof replacement project; new light fixtures in the sanctuary and vestibule; a nursery unit installed; installation of a public address system; reconstruction of the outside sidewalks for access by those with disabilities; the church educational outreach formed a ministry through the University of Pittsburgh Institute for the Black Family, Inc.; four junior deacons were appointed and two deacons put in training.  The Deacons that were ordained include: Deacon Thomas Holland and the late Deacon John Robinson.  The Junior Deacons were Alphonso Hudley and Walter Andrews.  A unified Mission Program, Pastoral and Clinical Counseling Program, and a Male Chorus were also established.  Reverend Foote resigned as pastor on December 27, 1987. 

After prayer and careful consideration, on October 29, 1988, Calvary extended the call to Reverend Sammie Bassord, and a new era in the life of Calvary began.  Pastor Bassord desired that a spirit of love, togetherness, and commitment be a part and remain a part of the entire membership in the life of Calvary.  Wednesday night was designated as Prayer, Praise, and Preaching Service.  Deacon Warren P. Scott was elected Chairman of the Deacon Board in 1994.  The following ministries were established while Reverend Bassord was pastor: Boy Scout Troop; Senior Citizens program; Youth Club; Food Bank; Junior Deaconesses; and Youth Choir.  Also, a combined choir composed of three (3) choirs, called the Mass Choir, was established to emphasize the Music Ministry.  Pastor Bassord established the Church Greeters, a Courtesy Guild, Hospitality Committee, New Members Class, and a Men’s Usher Board with ongoing training for the Usher’s Ministry.  The Junior Deaconesses were consecrated.

On September 16, 2003, Reverend Walter Silva Thompson was called to pastor the Calvary Baptist Church and was installed as Shepherd of the flock on October 26, 2003.  Reverend Thompson had an eloquent, charismatic style of preaching God’s word.  During Reverend Thompson’s two years of leadership, Jane Herring and Sandra Ralston became the first women Trustees in Calvary’s history.  Michael Ralston assumed the mantle of Trustee during his time of leadership.  The three newly appointed trustees served alongside Chairman Roosevelt Washington, Jr., Robert Washington, Jeffrey Snipe, and Charles Smith.  Victoria Andrews and Lamar Lawrence were licensed to be ministers under Reverend Thompson’s tenure.  Reverend Thompson resigned as pastor on July 30, 2005.

On April 30, 2007, Calvary called Reverend Melvin T. Jackson, who accepted and was installed on July 29, 2007.  Reverend Jackson had a unique, poetic way of preaching the Word of God.  Reverend Jackson organized the Pastor’s Aide Ministry, and a much-needed chair lift has been installed by Trustee Robert Washington and Trustee Michael Ralston to transport seniors and the physically challenged up from the lower auditorium.  On Sunday, November 2, 2008, Reverend Jackson ordained four deacons:  Dr. Fred Ralston, Jr., Melverse Kelly, Michael T. Jackson, and Benjamin F. Mooney IIISister Elada Jackson and Sister Ruth Mooney were added to serve as deaconesses to serve alongside Lillian Alston, Myrtle Pollard, Marian Ralston, Emma Robinson, and Vaughna Simon.  Trustee Jeffrey Snipe was elected Chairman of the Trustee Board following the retirement of Trustee Emeritus Roosevelt Washington Jr., who served as Chairman for over 40 years and made his transition to glory in December 2008.  Reverend Jackson represented Calvary on the national level as a teacher/faculty member of the National Baptist Convention Congress of Christian Educators and served four years as Treasurer of the Pennsylvania Baptist State Convention.  After Reverend Melvin T. Jackson resigned, the Associate Ministers Reverend Fred Ralston, Sr., and Reverend Marie Kelly began prayerfully handling the responsibilities of the church during 2012.

In the year 2013, Reverend Marie Kelly preached, conducted funerals, blessed babies, and essential tasks necessary to keep the church moving in the direction God was leading.  On Wednesday, June 18, 2014, Reverend Marie Kelly was voted to become the Pastor of Calvary Baptist Church, carrying 81% of the vote.  The Installation Service was held on Sunday, October 12, 2014, at 3:00 p.m.  What a glorious service it was.  Two historical events occurred on that memorable day: (1)  Pastor Marie Kelly was installed as the first woman Senior Pastor of the Calvary Baptist Church.   (2. Pastor Marie Kelly was also acknowledged as the first Senior Pastor to lead a congregation of one of the major Baptist Churches located in the Hill District. 

           On March 28, 2014, Reverend Marie Kelly ordained two ministers, Victoria Andrews and Shelley Mitchell.  Also on April 8, 2015, Reverend Marie Kelly appointed Reverend Eileen Robinson as Director over our Youth Ministry and made a recommendation that Mike Mitchell be voted in as a Deacon into the Calvary Baptist Church, which was accepted and approved by the officers and congregation of our church. 

           On April 13, 2016, Reverend Marie Kelly, Consecrated Sister Carol Ginyard, Sister Brenda Ralston, Sister Angela Stribling, and Sister Linda Terry were ordained as Deaconesses.

At the church meeting held on April 27, 2016, the Congregation unanimously voted for Sister Tanya Payne to become a member of the Trustee Board.

           On May 7, 2016, Reverend Marie Kelly Ordained Brother Richard Green as a Deacon.

           On May 8, 2016, during Morning Worship, Deaconess Marian Ralston was recognized as the Mother of the Calvary Baptist Church.

           On September 25, 2019, Reverend Marie Kelly, Consecrated Sister Deborah Thornhill, and Sister Malika Williams were ordained as Deaconesses.

           On October 24, 2020, Reverend Marie Kelly ordained Brother Michael A. Ralston as a Deacon.

           In early July of 2021, Reverend Marie Kelly had a vision for the new Video Ministry, which has been up and running as of October 3, 2021.

           On May 18, 2022, Reverend Marie Kelly, licensed Maurice L. Johnson “Go Ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel.

           On October 25, 2023, Reverend Marie Kelly appointed Minister Brenda Jean Gurley as Director over the Youth Ministry.

Promotional offer

Don't miss out on the chance to save while enjoying the quality and service you love. Keep an eye on this space for the latest updates and grab these amazing deals while they last!